• A highly attractive Landaulet coachwork by Hooper, the finest British coachbuilder of the time
• In current ownership for 48 years and only four owners from new
• An outstanding example of an early 20
This is an exciting opportunity to acquire a highly original 20 having attractive coachwork by Hooper & Co, the finest British coachbuilder of the time.
Chassis number GA63 was ordered by Lady Elinor Lewis Hammick from Torquay, Devon with the chassis being on test on 25th September 1923. The chassis was then dispatched to Hooper & Co for Landaulet coachwork to be fitted. The car was completed on 12th December 1923.
The chassis build cards confirm the car was originally specified with central position levers, straight sided wheels, side light wiring to front wings and an A.T. speedo. Also included in the chassis cards are maintenance notes including a ‘light overhaul’ carried out in 1934, and the supply of a new clutch and 2nd gear for Lady Hammick!
Rolls-Royce records indicate that Lady Hammick ceased to own GA63 in 1942 (the year of her death). A logbook issued in 1942 accompanies the car and confirms the car’s colour was blue and Reg John Coombe of Torquay as the registered keeper. In 1956, the registered keeper changed to John Gary Fraser Calpin. The logbook then shows in 1972 the registered keeper changed again, to the current owner.
During the current ownership, the car has formed part of a large collection of cars and has been well maintained. In 1978, Antique Automobiles Ltd. carried out substantial recommissioning and a retrim. It is due to the few previous owners and little use, that the car remains in charming original condition.
To summarise, this highly original car has a continuous known history with only four owners from new. It has been in the current ownership for 48 years and is a super example of an early 20, having central gear/handbrake levers and rear wheel only brakes – just as originally conceived by Henry Royce.