Chassis number 72NK was originally supplied to Sir Hilderbrand of Hamsworth, a newspaper owner.
The chassis cards identify this as a standard long type Chassis which was on test on 22nd June 1923. Supplied as a Nickel car with “set in” levers, “B” rake steering and straight sided wheels. 72NK was dispatched to Barker & Co. for Landaulet coachwork and was supplied to Sir Hilderbrand on 7th December 1923.
72NK had routine repairs carried out by Rolls-Royce through to the early 1930’s. By 1937, Rolls-Royce records list Miss Loraine Newham of Freshwater Grove, Shipley, Sussex as the keeper, Freshwater Grove is also the residence of Sir Hilderbrand.
Little else is known of the cars early history, but in 1960 Peter Burrow (trophy master for the RREC) rescued the car from gypsies as they had removed the original body. He paid them £75 as the scrap value was £50.
In 1991, well known Ghost collector and restorer Colin Laybourn acquired 72NK as a rolling chassis. Colin carried out a full restoration and being a very able coachbuilder, constructed the stylish and well-proportioned “Laybourn & James” coachwork that the car carries today.
This sporting car was finished in 2001 painted black over silver and trimmed in red hide by Brian Frost. The car carries a wealth of interesting features including Stephen Grabel headlamps, ships cowl type scuttle ventilators, a V-windscreen, louvered bonnet and outside hand brake lever. To aid touring, running board storage boxes and luggage rack/trunk were added together with an overdrive and spin on type oil filter.
In 2003 and driven by Colin, 72NK participated in the RREC’s Alpine Rally. Following in 2004 the car covered 4,000 miles in America and completed a tour of Ireland. In 2009 the car attended the SGA’s tour of South Africa. The present owner has owned 72NK since August 2012 and covered a relatively low mileage.
72NK remains in very good order and is an ideal touring car.