Chassis Number TX 3234 is a highly original and unrestored Bentley 4 ½ lt. The coachwork is by Gurney Nutting, being a 4 Seat Sports tourer with Weymann-type construction. Only three of these bodies were known to have been built, all differing slightly in detail. This car’s coachwork still retains its original body fabric covering and fabric covered bonnet.
Notable features include a central body beam; a bench-type front seat mounted on runners; a folding windscreen with quarter glasses which combine as Brooklands Aero screens; painted Marshal headlamps; an attractive dashboard; side-mounted spare wheel and cut-away coachwork to driver’s side.
Originally supplied in 1928 to H C Foster of Hornby Castle, Lancaster, registered TE 4839 on 9th July 1928. Clare Hay states in her book ‘Bentley – The Vintage Years’ that the car’s exterior was blue with grey upholstery.
Service records indicate that by 1931 the car had covered 26,941 miles. In 1931, the car was pictured in the Autocar magazine and in the same year was purchased by Lesley Richard Romer. Detailed service records remain showing an accumulation of mileage up to 96,422.
In 1935, TX 3234 was bought by GW Potter of Enfield where service records run through to 1939 showing a total mileage of 115,293 and an engine rebuild.
Ownership in 1939 passed to Mr Thomas Turner of Wymondham, Norfolk. Mr Turner retained the Bentley for 47 years until 1986 during which time the car received light use.
In 1986 the car was acquired by GE Walker of Jersey and registered J7454. In 1987, Mr Walker participated in the Mille Miglia and a Bentley Drivers’ Club tour of South Africa.
The current owner purchased the car in 1992. It has been his pride and joy and he has covered approximately 12,000 miles in 28 years of ownership. We believe the current recorded mileage of 155,000 is genuine. Retained with the car is a period registration document dated 1935.