- Extremely unusual well-proportioned estate coachwork from Burbage & Sons
- Thoroughly well sorted benefitting from significant work from ourselves
- Charming and practical vehicle accompanied by an interesting early history
Coming off test on Christmas Eve 1929, GDP 43 was delivered to coachbuilder Thrupp & Maberly Ltd one month later in January 1930. Originally donning a fixed-head coupé body, order documents suggest a sleek design with “raked steering” appearing at the top of the particulars sheet as well as, fixed-head saloon, red and black body colour, red leather, and a sunshine roof. Completed in under two months, the car was then dispatched to Caffyns Ltd, Eastbourne. Caffyns, having only received the Rolls-Royce franchise three years prior, were able to supply Rolls-Royce motor cars to discerning customers on the south coast, the first owner of GDP 43 being Mr. H. Walker of Hove Park Road, Hove.
Not much can be found about Mr. Walker, and just 6 years later GDP 43 travelled north to Hull. Here, the car was purchased by Dr Louis Lavine, a senior physician at Hull Royal Infirmary. A well renowned doctor, he is listed as being a member of the Yorkshire division of the Spa Practitioners Group. Around one year from purchasing the car Dr Lavine moved out of Hull city centre, east, to the village of Kirk Ella with his ownership continuing until his death in 1945.
The car then travelled south to a Mr Shepard. He was a wealthy dairy farmer living at Bagworth Park, Leicester. It is noted that he was one of the first farmers in his district to purchase a Ford tractor, something that would have been unusual at the time. Not much is known about the subsequent owners of GDP 43, but we do know that in the 1950s the original coachwork was replaced with what you see today – a magnificent estate car built by Burbage & Sons. It is plausible that Mr Shepherd was pivotal in this evolution of Chassis GDP 43. Living on an estate the size of Bagworth and with a large farming family he would have needed the extra space to drive people and luggage across the estate in style.
The current owner purchased the car in the late 1990s in a somewhat poor condition. Soon thereafter work began to sympathetically restore GDP 43 with all the mechanicals being entrusted to ourselves. Clark & Carter Restorations Ltd were tasked with the coachwork and the trim was left in the capable hands of specialist G.A. Wright. Thorough improvements were made to the coachwork with the car presenting well. Incorporated into the car’s full retrim and to help improve the rear load space, folding rear seats are fitted. Additionally, the dashboard and instruments were overhauled. The 20/25’s engine has been completely rebuilt including a new aluminium cylinder head meaning the engine presents and runs beautifully. GDP 43 has also benefited from a complete rewire and subsequent thorough mechanical servicing over time.
With touring in mind, this stylish utilitarian estate car is ideal for many weekend pursuits, it is highly useable and you will stand out from the crowd.